We are firmly into the season of fall, and quickly we are going to be faced with brutal cold temperatures, icy roads and walks, and snow. This is the time of year to be thinking about deciding to move to an assisted living. We have six reasons to think about when deciding to move:
1. Slips, trips, and falls- According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention one in four Americans over the age of 65 fall each year. This means that every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall, and every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall. Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury and the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults. Add unsafe conditions such as ice, snow, and the need to go out to meet your personal needs such as groceries and mail then the chance of falling increases. Assisted living communities can meet these needs.
2. Health monitoring- Assisted living staff can assist with medication monitoring and administration if needed. They can help to ensure that you or your loved one is receiving all of the medications that are needed at the scheduled dose and time. Staff can help with vital sign monitoring. Some communities have physicians who even come to visit their patients in the community.
3. Full service dining- Staff can ensure that you or your loved one is receiving proper nutrition with delicious food. Imagine not having to prepare your meals or clean up after them.
4. Cleaning- Dust accumulates in the winter. Staff is available, and will clean your apartment. They are there to decrease the risk of injury during cleaning such as slipping on mop water, falling while cleaning shower, or losing your balance while dusting.
5. Happy people- Winter in Wisconsin is hard. It is long with short days of light. In assisted living communities, you will be greeted by happy staff there to help. Many assisted livings, have great activities programs. The other tenants are chances to reconnect with old friends and make new ones.
6. Reassurance- This is often the main reason for making the move as knowing that a loved one is safe offers reassurance to families. Family members can start visiting loved ones versus providing care or running errands. Tenants also feel reassured that someone will always be there to provide help and care.
This list is just the beginning of the reasons to think of moving to an assisted living. Colby Retirement Community, a premiere assisted living community, provides all of items above as well as many more. Please call Amanda at 715-255-3050 with any questions or to schedule a tour.